My Job Hunting Experience: Interview, Over Qualification and Asking Salary

8:59 AM Unknown 0 Comments

Job Hunting Experience - ThePlumpJournal

Monday came and I have an appointment with this US based company. It was a hot morning; I had my power suit on, my best shoes, my laptop and my resume. Imagine how much sweat I had that summer morning, I wasn’t late, in fact I was an hour early, but it’s a Monday, every employee seems to be in a rush though it’s still very early.

The building is great, in fact, it was newly built with a nice flowery scent, but I was disappointed when I reached the floor where the company is located, the reception area sucks. The interviewer is late, and when she did come, I was even more disappointed, her questions are the most basic questions I have heard my entire job hunting history and there was a written exam!

For someone who started as an OJT student who then became a proper part of the team when she graduated. Then a year later transferred to an international company and was pirated by one of the most promising company in the industry, I didn't expect this is how it goes, I wasn't applying as a call center (no offense, when I was a fresh graduate I tried applying to a call center and this is how it goes).

When the exam is finished they asked me to wait again (I hate waiting its unproductive), thirty minutes passed, to think there are only three applicants, they called me only to say a call was waiting for me from the head of the team I am applying. You know what the other line said?

“I am sorry; I wasn't able to come to the office because I am sick, there is no one to interview you regarding the position you are applying! I will call you within this week to assess your qualifications for the position”

What the FUCK!!! You made me wait for half an hour for that. I wasted half my day for that. Assess my qualifications or are my asking salary too high? (I always base my asking salary from what they posted on the employment website, they posted thirty to fifty monthly, I asked in between, and that it’s still negotiable)

Honestly, I know I had a chance. The other applicants seem to not know what they are doing in that area. It’s just that I am too qualified (and too conceited in answering the HR representative's questions, maybe she got annoyed at me, well she came 10 am, the start of office hours are at 8 am, the heck’s with that?) and maybe my asking salary is too high for them I guess.

I just said okay and hang up. I was too irritated and starved at this point there is nothing else I can say. I swore not to return to that company again, it’s very unprofessional, plus telling an applicant that aside from the manager there is no other person who can conduct the interview is stupid, what does this mean? That the manager is the only knowledgeable person in the team? What about the team leader, assistant heads? They are a large company, it’s unbelievable.

I stormed out of their office and went to the nearest mall to grab my late lunch. I swore to review the next company thoroughly.

0 comments: