Turning 27: Past and Present

11:52 AM Unknown 0 Comments


There was a post I read a few months ago, it says something about “30 Things Every Women Should Know/Have by the Time She Turns 30”. Reading it, I was like “Oh My Gee! I’m not even half of what the writer wrote. What exactly did I learn this past twenty-seven years of my life?" I am freaking out, and surely some of you feel the same way.

Twenties, thirties, forties, are just numbers that silently tells people “maturity” but honestly, I know some of us are still trying to figure out a lot of things about ourselves.

A month ago, I attended the Grand Alumni Homecoming from my high school. Imagine, after 10 years of not even trying to take a peak of what had happened to my Alma mater and unintentionally cutting most of my ties with my high school friends, a classmate invited me and the whole batch to attend the event as a mark of our 10 years anniversary. Ten freaking years had passed! Can you imagine that?

Anyway, I decided to attend, who wouldn't when almost half of my batch mates started sending friend requests. The hype was probably due to the incoming batch reunion.

I met old friends; learn a thing or two about the “famous” personalities in our batch that has become “unremarkable”, chat with those I didn't get the chance to be close when we were in high school, found out who finished college, had a great career and those who got married right after high school.

The gossips are funny yet irritating at the same time. And when I got home, I started remembering my HS life. During those times I remember setting some goals; 1. To enter a great university, 2. To finish college and 3. Get a job.

I did all those things gracefully, and that was when I realized, everyone is expected to enter college, finish a degree and have a career right after high school. What comes next is the real challenge.

After those four long years of college (in my case it took me five years because I took engineering first then transferred to IT) you landed on a good job, but are you satisfied? No, the reason is because you want to do more things which requires a lot of money, but being a fresh graduate who doesn't have a good working experience in your field means your salary can’t keep up with your lifestyle.

After a year, you got promoted, your pay check increases so does your workload. Now you got more money but no more time. This is where you will learn how to prioritize and how to manage your time.

I know what my priorities are, I want a flourishing career without sacrificing my social life. I learned how to managed my time balancing work, social life, family time and me time. But that is not the case, no matter how good you are at time management, something will suffer.

I don’t know what, I can’t put a name on it, I just realized that I missed out something ten years after graduating from high school.

One day I am a high school student dreaming of becoming a well behaved, well educated, well traveled, knowledgeable woman in her early twenties, the next thing I know, I’m 25, a few more steps at the peak of the corporate ladder but suddenly drops on a slump.

I felt tired, I want to drop everything and just party. I want a new environment like I am an author who’s having a major writers block that needs a new inspiration. Luckily, a former boss invite me to join her team. So I wrote a resignation letter and just drop everything.

New office, new challenge, a great team, an even greater pay check, a workable work load gives me some satisfaction. Everything goes smoothly until the summer I lost my job.

Then I am turning 27 (today is May 08 at exactly 12:04 midnight, a few more days before I turned 27) and I am freaking out. My Facebook account is field with “getting married”, “having babies” updates.

My friends are posting their weekend with their husband/wife and kids. Everyone seems to be celebrating anniversaries, and here I am, a twenty something, a little bit successful, lovely lady with some savings, boyfriend less and jobless.

Dear heavens, what is happening to me?

Quote:
At the age of 20, we don't care what the world thinks of us.
At 30, we worry about what it is thinking about us.
At 40, we discover that it wasn't thinking of us at all.
At 50, we really don't give a fuck.

0 comments: