The Summer I lost My Job

6:55 AM Unknown 0 Comments

Half-eaten spinach lasagna
I know it is going to happen eventually. I can feel it, I saw some signs and yet I didn’t do anything to prevent it.

Okay, first things first, I was a part of a freelance team that provides digital marketing services locally and internationally. The first few months gave all of us a headache but eventually we get the hang of things and everything goes smoothly, after we celebrated our first year things changed.

We didn’t get anymore projects despite our efforts and the good reputation of our company plus the referrals of our clients. When we do close a project, it was just a small one-time type of service. Its bothering all of us, we do have ongoing projects but its just good enough to support the current financial need of the team. I mean if we don’t increase the number of our clients when will we be able to have an office? How can we increase the salary and give additional benefits to our staff and ours, when can we get more people to support the team?

It was after the holy week season. We had a team meeting and over pizzas and pastas one of my teammate drop the bomb. HH, went abroad to work without properly telling us, I’d go ballistic, seriously, but I am a calm person, smile, think over and over before you talk, especially in this kind of situations. So okay, what’s gone is gone, I can feel there is more to it.

Another bomb dropped, MG is getting married, she needs more funds, and she got an offer she cannot refuse. Who am I to prevent her from expanding her horizons?

Therefore, at that lunch table over pasta and pizza, a decision is made; we are splitting for now. I cant manage the company, I don’t have the confidence MG has when dealing with prospective clients, at present I don’t have the strength and qualifications needed to lead the team. Maybe in time we’ll get back on that table and over pizza and pasta we’ll talk about getting the team back on its feet again.

And that is how I lost my job that summer.

Just to make things crystal clear, I don't feel bitter about the things that is happening, just a little bit sad, we've been together as a team for years even before we decided to have our own company. Oh well, our times together maybe cut short since we'll definitely be a part of different companies again, but we're still gonna catch up on each other one way or another.

PS.
“Things happen for a reason. Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”

0 comments: