My Job Hunting Experience: Updating My Profile and Receiving Job Invites

8:38 AM Unknown 0 Comments


I lost my job the start of summer. After the holy week season ended, I decided to take a few more weeks of break, let myself breath, think things over, pray.

I felt like I was in the wrong road, I still do, sometimes. Like I was taking the wrong path or made the wrong turn somewhere, I need to take a few deep breaths, do things I want to do, but then again, what do I really want to do? It’s like I am experiencing a midlife crisis, heaven forbid, I’m only on my mid twenteens, but that’s what I actually feel.

Anyway, with my head still not set on what I really wanted, I started to get back on track. The first thing I did is update my profile.

Personal bio doesn’t need updating, contact information still the same, work experience needs to be updated and oh, include another acquired skill.

Then, since my resume is in word format, I need to have another copy in PDF since some companies want a PDF instead of word document format. All set? Upload your file in employment websites and make sure your online profile is also updated.

The following days after I updated my online profile I receive a few calls, some from the industries big names, some startup companies (they say) some unknown to me companies, BPO companies etc. From all the calls and emails I receive I choose five companies to answer and set a job interview.

Let’s start with the big names.

I receive a call from one of the country’s biggest television network. I still remember the day I answered that call, I was taking a bath wet and soapy when my mom told me an unknown number is calling. I decided to answer the call and surprise!, some Aimee from this television network is telling me she saw my profile on an employment site and that I am qualified for a newly opened position in her team and that she is inviting me for a job interview.

Imagine my surprise, It didn’t cross my mind to apply for any kind of position in that network because I know I still lack something, but there was Aimee telling me I am qualified. When I checked my email and saw what she sent, I was tongue tied, super excited while typing my reply.

Next is a US based company whose offices are all over the world. I did apply for the position they posted on an employment website. The reasons are simple, I didn’t need to travel too far and I know the business district too well there won’t be a chance I’ll get lost. There was a good compensation package and lastly, they are industry leaders, meaning, there are many experts where you can learn a thing or two, a fat chance to step up the ladder, get promoted and be sent to another office in another country (hopefully).

Lastly, an Australian owned company. They offer a good compensation package, a flexible time, a smart team, a good working environment and I love their office location, and they offered me a challenging position.

Here’s how it goes.

0 comments: